The general objective of the Programme is to support, through lifelong learning, the educational, professional and personal development of people in education, training, youth and sport, in Europe and beyond, thereby contributing to sustainable growth, quality jobs and social cohesion, to driving innovation, and to strengthening European identity and active citizenship. As such, the Programme shall be a key instrument for building a European Education Area, supporting the implementation of the European strategic cooperation in the field of education and training, with its underlying sectoral agendas, advancing youth policy cooperation under the Union Youth Strategy 2019-2027 and developing the European dimension in sport.
The Programme has the following specific objectives:
- promote learning mobility of individuals and groups, as well as cooperation, quality, inclusion and equity, excellence, creativity and innovation at the level of organisations and policies in the field of education and training;
- promote non-formal and informal learning mobility and active participation among young people, as well as cooperation, quality, inclusion, creativity and innovation at the level of organisations and policies in the field of youth;
- promote learning mobility of sport staff, as well as cooperation, quality, inclusion, creativity and innovation at the level of sport organisations and sport policies.
Priorities of the Erasmus+ Programme
- Inclusion and diversity – The new programme seeks to increase the qualitative impact of its actions and to ensure equal opportunities. To this end, the programme will reach out to people of different ages and from diverse cultural, social and economic backgrounds. It will focus on people with fewer opportunities, including those with disabilities, educational difficulties, or a migrant background, as well as those living in rural and remote areas.
- Green Erasmus+ – In line with the European Green Deal, the programme will lead by example, by encouraging participants to use lower- carbon transport as an alternative to flying. Erasmus funding will also be channelled into building up knowledge and understanding of sustainability and climate action, so that Europeans acquire the world-leading competences needed to create sustainable societies, lifestyles and economies.
Digital Erasmus+ – In line with the Digital Education Action Plan’s priorities, the programme will develop accessible and high-quality digital learning, foster the capacity of teachers, trainers and youth workers, etc. to use digital tools and content, test and promote distance, as well as blended learning. The mobility actions of the programme will provide an increased number of opportunities to acquire and develop digital skills through initiatives such as the Digital Opportunity Traineeships scheme.
The implementation of the programme will be significantly digitalised and simplified for participants, in particular through the European Student Card initiative and a revamped IT architecture for beneficiaries and implementing bodies.
The Structure of the Programme
In order to achieve its objectives, the Erasmus+ Programme foresees the implementation of the following Actions in the 2021-2027 period:
→ Key Action 1 (KA1) – Mobility of individuals
→ Key Action 2 (KA2) – Cooperation among organisations and institutions
→ Key Action 3 (KA3) – Support to policy development and cooperation
→ Jean Monet Action
Actions are presented in the Programme Guide 2021 and Call 2021
|Key Action1||Mobility projects for learners and staff in higher education, vocational education and training (VET), school education, adult education and youth|
|Youth Participation Activities|
|Key Action2||Cooperation Partnerships comprising::
– Cooperation Partnerships;
– Small-scale Partnerships.
|Partnerships for Excellence, including:
– Centres for Vocational Excellence;
– Erasmus+ Teacher Academies;
– Erasmus Mundus Action.
|Partnerships for Innovation: Alliances for innovation|
|Capacity Building in the field of youth.|
|Not-for-profit European sport events.|
|Key Action3||European Youth Together|
|Jean Monnet Action||Jean Monnet in the field of higher education|
|Jean Monnet in other fields of education and training|