Perguntas Frequentes – Incoming
- What are the first things I have to do as soon as I arrive at Técnico?
- How can I get a room or an apartment in Lisbon?
- Where can I get more information about the Connect platform?
- How can I get my monthly transportation pass?
- What about health care?
- Where can I look up for more general information about class timetables, the academic calendar and others?
- Am I allowed to apply to the special examination period? What should I do?
- Is there a Portuguese course for foreign students?
Declaration of Arrival
Once you arrive at Técnico you must come to NMCI to get your signed declaration of arrival. You can go there during its office hours:
If you need more information about the process of changing your Learning Agreement and about your Mobility Coordinator, you will find it here.
- Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: 10h to 12h and 14h to 16h.
- Closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Where to live during your exchange abroad will be one of your earliest concerns when planning your visit. In general there are student accommodation shortages in Lisbon. The housing situation at IST is very strained so you should start looking into housing as soon as you have been accepted in your mobility programme.
In Lisbon, few students are fortunate enough to the opportunity to stay in University residences because the offer is extremely limited. The majority of the students live in houses, flats (apartments) or rooms in private sector accommodation in and around Lisbon within easy walking distance of the Alameda or Taguspark campi and with a regular bus, metro or train link.
Here you can find some general information about housing in Lisbon.
Pro tip: Note when establishing your contacts locally, make sure the apartment is furnished (mobilado in Portuguese). About the structure of the flats themselves:
- T0 – studio flat with kitchen and WC;
- T1 – apartment with kitchen, WC and 1 bedroom;
- T2 – apartment with living room, kitchen, WC and 2 bedrooms.
During your mobility, you will need to use our platform, Connect. Here you can find more information about it.
If you are under 23 years old and do you need a monthly pass to go to and from Técnico you can use the following form to have a monthly pass with a student’s fare:
Besides European Health Insurance Card, Técnico has a Health Care area on each Campus, assisting the Técnico community with health support.
To retrieve information about locations, specialities, schedules and pricelist, please check the Health Care Page.
Where can I look up for more general information about class timetables, the academic calendar and others?
Here you can find general information not only about Técnico and everything related to your university life, but also about Lisbon.
For more information please contact Graduation Office.
At IST, intensive Portuguese courses for foreign students are organized at the beginning of each semester. There will be the opportunity for students to sign up for these classes during the reception week.
You can find more information and the application form here (342 KB).