Saltar para o conteúdo


International Students

Citizens of countries outside the European Union or the Schengen Area must apply for a visa in their country of origin, at a Portuguese Embassy/Consulate. Please note that a ‘tourist’ visa is not valid for studies in Portugal.

Non-European citizens who have a residence permit in a Schengen country must apply for a visa for Portugal, in the country where they have a residence permit, when the stay is longer than 3 months.

The visa application must be submitted several months in advance because it can take up to at least 12 weeks, depending on the country of origin. Some visa applicants may also be subject to security checks. You can consult the document below for more information.*

Students European Union/EEA/Switzerland

For the first 3 months of stay in the country, you only need to have a valid identification document or passport. After this period, you must apply for a permit within 30 days at the Lisbon City Hall and it will be valid for 5 years. For more information you can consult the document below.


* No information contained in the presented document waives the consultation with the SEF. Neither Técnico Lisboa nor its staff members may be held responsible for the relationship between the applicant and SEF or for the information shared.
close navigation
close Search